Bentleys are stylish, luxury vehicles that offer high-performance and an incredibly comfortable ride. They are also powerful and impressive. With their head-turning design, they demand respect. Although they are one of the most luxurious vehicles on the market, they still experience common issues, such as exhaust system failure.
The Importance of the Exhaust System
The exhaust system in your Bentley is extremely important, and it consists of many different components. The purpose of this system is to redirect hazardous exhaust fumes out of the car. This allows the engine to perform better and also keeps noxious gases from entering the cabin.
The main parts of the exhaust system are:
- exhaust manifold
- catalytic converter
EGR Temperature Sensor Failure
A known issue in some Bentley models is EGR temperature sensor failure. The sensor is located between the intake manifold and the exhaust. It monitors the temperature of the exhaust gases. If the temperature gets too high, it signals the computer. The flow is increased which will lower the pressure and temperature.
If the EGR temperature sensor fails, it can lead to several issues such as:
- failed emissions test
- pinging or knocking noises
- illuminated check engine light
If you believe the EGR temperature sensor is failing, call us today. Our mechanics can determine if the sensor needs to be replaced.
Other Common Exhaust Issues
The exhaust system is a major part of your Bentley. If it is experiencing issues, you may experience reduced gas mileage and poor performance. The most common exhaust issues are:
Failing Oxygen Sensor
The oxygen sensor is responsible for determining the air to fuel ratio. When it begins to fail, it cannot produce the correct readings. This can lead to too much gas or air.
An exhaust leak can happen anywhere along the exhaust system. A leak can lead to rough vibrations, the smell of gas, and dangerous carbon monoxide poisoning. Vibrations can often be felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal.
Clogged Catalytic Converter
The catalytic converter is positioned by the exhaust manifold. It helps to transform harmful contaminants into safer exhaust fumes. When the catalytic converter is clogged, you may experience a lack of power and the unpleasant smell of rotten eggs inside your cabin.
Damaged Exhaust Manifold Gasket
The exhaust manifold gasket seals the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head. This helps to prevent harmful gasses from entering the system.
Loose or Broken Brackets
Brackets hold the exhaust system in place. If they break or come loose the exhaust system can be damaged or hit the road.
Symptoms of Exhaust System Issues
Below are the most common symptoms you may experience when there is an issue with the exhaust system in your Bentley.
- Decrease in Fuel Efficiency: It is a good idea to keep track of your mileage. This way you will know when there is a major change in fuel efficiency.
- Rattling Noises: If you hear a rattling noise when you accelerate, this could be caused by an exhaust leak.
- Vibrations: Vibrations while driving can be caused by a faulty exhaust system.
- Loss of Power: If the engine is not able to work properly due to an exhaust issue, you can experience a loss of power.
- Strong Smells: Exhaust fumes have a strong smell. If there is an issue with the exhaust system, these fumes can enter the cabin of your Bentley. This can be dangerous. It can also lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Illuminated Check Engine Light: The check engine light can be triggered by many issues. One of the issues is a faulty exhaust system. If your light is on, have one of our mechanics run a diagnostic scan to determine the exact cause.
About Mark Douglas Motorworks
We are dedicated to providing the highest quality of service in our area. We are a family-owned business and have over 15 years of experience. Our technicians are honest and highly knowledgeable and are also factory-trained and certified. This allows us to provide you with the best service possible.
Call Us Today
If you are having issues with your exhaust system or need any other service performed on your Bentley, schedule an appointment today. You can reach our Mark Douglas Motorworks office on 949-472-8842, or come see us at 23255 Madero B109, Mission Viejo, CA. We service drivers in the Orange County area, including Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Huntington Beach, Laguna Hills and Laguna Niguel, CA.